Comments for Cross Beams

Click here to add your own comments

Cross Beams (Purlins?)
by: LCUK

From your description I think you are talking about the purlins. These are major structural elements and must not be moved or altered without first seeking the advice of a structural engineer.

This may sound like very cautious advice but purlins not only provide support to the rafters above them but very often they also support the floor joists as well.

Removing or altering the purlins can have serious consequences and should only be carried out by an experienced builder.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Expert.

Return to Cross Beams.

Latest Articles

  1. What Is Vermiculite Loft Insulation?

    Vermiculite Loft Insulation is an echo-friendly alternative to traditional insulation materials

    Read More

  2. The Loft Water Tank Moving And Repositioning

    The old loft water tank will need to be moved if the roof space is being converted into a habitable room

    Read More

  3. Structural Calculations For Loft Conversions

    Structural calculations for loft conversions are of course hugely important to ensure safety and that the proposed plans meet building regulations

    Read More